Sunday 29 January 2012

What was I thinking?

Damasklove is a blog I love to look at. Amber's style is clean and her eye is amazing. She has challenged us to take a card we made in the past, and redo it in our current style.

I started stamping in January 2006, after attending a Stampin' Up party hosted by my cousin. In my normal obsessive style, I immediately bought everything I could buy (embellishments, ribbon, inks, papers, tools) and learned every technique I could. And like many new converts, whether it be to religion or a new hobby or whatever, my fervour was high. Every card I made had to have everything I knew included in it! By Christmas of 2006, I was thinking I would make cards for the teachers' gifts. Better yet, I would make them sets of cards, in a unifying colour scheme. I made 4 or 5 different designs - I'm going to save the rest for the next "What was I thinking Challenge". Here is just one of these lovely creations:



What was I thinking?! The colour combination, the random, overdone stickles (and this is one of the cleaner ones in the sets). Ugh! And these poor women were so gracious and every one of them assured me that she loved the cards. That just makes me appreciate them even more!

But I love that flower and I wanted to make it a challenge, so I forced myself to remake this card with the same colours and stamps. I figured since I hated the colour combination so much, the best way to deal with it was to minimize the amount of colour used, and have lots of white space. Here it is:


 But a practically white card felt a bit like cheating, so I made another one. Same colours, different stamps:


I used a technique I learned on the damasklove blog  and shaded the stamped flowers with copic markers to give some more depth. My original intent was for this to be a portrait orientation, but I couldn't find the best 'fit' for the sentiment, which really wanted to fit right where it is. So landscape it is.

I like these cards so much better - what a fun challenge!

Supplies:
Live, Love, Laugh:
Stamps: Stampin' Up! Both Way Blossoms, Inkadinkado Alphabet
Paper: Whisper White, Certainly Celery, Gina K Pure Luxury
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Cool Caribbean
Accessories: Copic Markers, Fruit Punch Stickles


Little Baby:
Stamps: All Stampin' Up! solid flowers from various sets, Papertrey Ink (leaf)
Paper: Whisper White, Regal Rose
Ink: Memento London Fog, Certainly Celery, Always Apricot, Regal Rose
Accessories: Copic Markers

3 comments:

  1. Ardyth, I love both of your do-overs!! I have work hard to accomplish a good CAS, and here you made two! Both are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love the two do-overs! I agree, I like the flowers. I love the assembly of text on one side! Just lovely and modern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely card Ardyth! My mom's name was Ardyth! so unusual to see... so I had to comment! = ) TFS your do-over, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.