Tuesday 6 May 2014

CASology 96 - Metal


The CASology Cue Card for this week is Metal!



I was fascinated when I came across this amazing video from Jennifer McGuire, showing us how to "turn" our die cuts into metal.  So I cut this thanks and coated it in Versamark and then went to town with my silver, gold and copper embossing powder. I kept the die cut hot and kept dipping bits into ep until I was happy with the finished look. And then I laid it on my card and saw a big finger print. It was very noticeable (picture those plaster disks with baby footprints in them!). No problem, I just heated the whole thing up again and the powder remelted and became smooth! I love how it almost looks like wire (that's why I chose the very thin die).

Jennifer made this process look very easy. She is so talented, she makes everything look easy! I love to watch her videos! My studio was a smidge messier than hers was by the end and I really struggled to glue this sucker onto the card (by the time I was done, both sides of the cardstock were embossed!). In the end, white glue and a book on top worked to get it all together.

To keep the card looking very CAS, I surrounded my precious/heavy metal with lots of white space.

I was having so much fun (and the place was already so coated in ep) that I made another one that's a little less CAS, with 3 thanks each in one colour:



Now it's your turn - show us how you're inspired by this week's Cue Card. Don't forget to pop by the DT blogs and see all the inspiration they've come up with for you!



24 comments:

  1. WOW! This is just so perfect. I can only imagine how long this took!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought of Jennifer's video as soon as I saw the metal cue ... but I love what you've done! Stepped it up with 3 colours. And it is more complicated than it looks ... I tried it too. You can see my other one tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a perfect take on the challenge! Beautiful!
    I saw the same video and was waiting to use it in the nearer futher, but you beet me to it... So I'll do some rethinking.... Inky greetings, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully done, Ardyth! Love your metal pieces!! It's perfect for the CAS design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, this is fabulous, what a great technique, definitely one to try! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched Jennifer's video, book-marked if for 'later', and now, what a delight to see your lovely take here! Perhaps I need to move "later" to "sooner"! Your card: gorgeous!!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your first card...it does make me think of wire...cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect CAS card, Ardyth! I tried faux metal technique to create a card, but I failed. Your metallic die cut looks amazing!!! I totally agree with you that it looks like a wire. Well done!! May

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this card! Simple and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You rocked this challenge, Ardyth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your card Ardyth!! Thanks so much for the inspiration and sharing the link, I'm going to give it a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! I love how you used all three colours on the one die cut.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are both so eyecatching, Ardyth ... the first particularly so! Love how you used such a fine die cut for this technique ... it's stunning ... gorgeous variation of the metal tones! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is an amazing effect, really does look like moulten metal..... well worth the time and effort :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow,it looks just like metal even a bit soddered. Fun card,on my why to check out the video. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I have a die cut maschine too...I think I will buy after I see all your card Ardyth..this is really ADORABLE FUNTASTIC and I LOVVVVEEEE this...great idea for Metal Cue Card...you are clever dear Ardyth....big hugs, Monika (PS: I use small manly tools for the challenge this week on CASology...hope you like to peek at my blog :) )

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fabulous Ardyth, love the technique you have used. So sorry for the lack of visits lately, life is still crazy right now and doesn't seem to be slowing down

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this Ardyth, I love how you can take something so simple and make it so extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks awesome Ardyth, fantastic technique, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you for such an inspiring post .... I tried the technique and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Patience of a saint. But so so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, Ardyth, you win the prize! That was an amazing technique and such effort you put into it! It paid off...on both cards!!! Love this!

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.